Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Story 12: Korea

I am Korean. My mom and my dad are both what you would call “purebreds”. I guess 
I could call myself a purebred, as well as my brother. I can proudly say that I am Korean 
thanks to my parents who take pride in their heritage. This story however isn’t about me, but 
my parents. My mother once said to me, “We [All of my family members who have moved to 
America] moved to live a better life, a new opportunity that is only available in America.”


The story of my parents begin. My mom never got to finish high school before 
moving to America, and stated that it was too difficult to start school again after moving. My 
mother worked jobs that took no very little to no need of the use of the English language. 
Although my mother has lived in America for over 26 years, the english language has 
always been a struggle for her, and the language barrier is still one of her greatest struggles 
today. My father moved to America 30 years ago and is still, like my mother, strongly rooted 
in Korean culture. My dad attended college in America for about two years, but never got to 
graduate because the language was too difficult to keep up with. In later years my dad 
created a system for trading and selling video games. He later opened a store called 
Starland with one of his best friends. He spent three years creating this system and ended 
up opening a total of ten of these stores! A company known as GameStop, wanted to buy 
this idea from my father many years ago, but the company ended up stealing it instead. My 
father did not know how to legally take back what he has once started and had to close 
many of the chain stores. One store still remains today, owned by his bud. Both of my 
parents had great struggles starting a new life in America but they pulled through! My 
parents had an arranged marriage and got married before moving to America. Both my 
moms side and my dads side of the family all moved to America. I grew up in a house with 
ten people in it, all heavily rooted. My parents worked very hard to keep the family 
financially stable and to keep both me and my brother aware of where we came from.


This new life living in America wasn’t a walk in the park for them, but you could say 
that they achieved the American Dream. No, you don’t have to be an American to reach the 
American Dream, the idea of living in a happy household can be achieved by any ethnic 
group. I can proudly say that I am of Korean descendent thanks to my great hard working 
parents, who have made it possible for me to live in America today. Thank you for reading. 

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment